Keeping it Clean has a new look and a new home! The url is the same - www.keepingitclean.org - I just wanted to devote this site entirely to nutrition and clean-eating and cooking. You can find my training blog at the new and improved www.leavingapath.com.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tom Tom Turkey Meatballs (and Turkey Bacon) and Spaghetti Squash!

turkey baconWhen it comes to meats, one of my favorites is bacon!  I eat a lot of bacon – mostly low sodium turkey but some of the real stuff from time to time as well.  I'm known, actually, for my love affair with bacon. 

That being said, last night I tried something new.  I handmade turkey meatballs and marinated the meatballs in a sugar free tomato sauce with bacon.  I added 1/4 cup organic garden vegetable baby food.  Instead of spaghetti, I made a spaghetti squash and seasoned it with extra virgin olive oil, a touch of ground black pepper, and sea salt. 

For the spaghetti squash, half it, cut out the center with seeds and bake upside down on a cookie tray with 1/4 cup water for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Once it cools use a fork to scrape out the “pasta” and season with salt and a touch of olive oil. 

It made quite a delicious alternative and the smoky bacon (I cooked on the grill for extra flavor) really added something special.  My turkey meatballs are a piece of cake I get the lean ground turkey and grind up walnuts or cashews, about 1/2 cup per pound.  I used 5 eggs, 2 grated yellow onions, two tablespoons of crushed garlic, and a shaved carrot for the meatballs and then I cooked them on the stove.

The sauce was sugar free no salt added tomato in a can.  I put the 6 bacon slices, the sauce, the baby food, and the cooked meatballs in a crock pot for two hours of slow cooking.  The flavor was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment