Keeping it Clean has a new look and a new home! The url is the same - www.keepingitclean.org - I just wanted to devote this site entirely to nutrition and clean-eating and cooking. You can find my training blog at the new and improved www.leavingapath.com.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Re-defining Sunday Dinner

My kids are used to my cooking habits.  Lots of lean protein, leafy, dark greens, vegetables, whole wheat grains, and healthy fats. 
IMAG0729For dinner tonight, we’re changing up a traditional Sunday night pasta fest.  My girls aren’t huge fans of pasta sauce so I improvise with tomatoes and sweet onions sautéed with lean ground turkey, spinach leaves, and baby food.  What?  Baby food?  Yes, I use it all the time!  For pastas you can use any vegetables without altering the flavor.  I use Organic Garden Veggie or Carrots, Peas, Green beans.  Baby food adds a highly nutrient dense serving of vegetables so you are maximizing your meal and still enjoying your favorite dishes.



Taylor, my nine-year-old daughter always helps with these meals. 
For pasta, we are baking Spaghetti Squash that I season with basil, sea salt, pepper, and chives.  I don’t use butter in any of my cooking and the savory spaghetti squash doesn’t need it!  If you’ve never used spaghetti squash as a pasta, just halve one, de-seed it, place it in 1/2 inch water in a baking pan and bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.  Once baked, scrape the contents out with a fork.  It flakes out easily and looks just like angel hair pasta.  Sautee with fresh ingredients and serve with the pasta. 
Our side is sweet potatoes and fresh fruit.  For dessert, we are having strawberries and frozen bananas sprinkled with a touch of unsweetened cocoa and honey! 
Sunday dinner delicious and kid friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment